Dear Irish roommates, please read carefully !!
It was the Irish immigrants, for the most part, who built the Erie Canal and then settled the area of Tipperary Hill, in Syracuse, NY, but it seems what the Irish are really known for in the area are the Stone Throwers and an inverted traffic light known as “Green over Red.”
Tipperary Hill, the district that takes up half the Far Westside neighborhood in Syracuse was settled by Irish immigrants. The Irish were the chief laborers on the Erie Canal’s construction from Albany to Buffalo and Syracuse is smack bang in the middle of this route. The town became the epicenter of this endeavor and, once the canal was finished, many of the Irish laborers simply settled there.
In the rate show in the USA “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” According to our „Wer wird Millionär?“ by Güer Jauch, this question has already been asked. See image !!
In 1860 the section of Far Westside south of West Genesee Street was officially called Tipperary Hill. The neighborhood’s name came from the fact that a large number of the families working at the local steel mills at the time were from County Tipperary.
The light was erected on the corner of Tompkins Street and Milton Avenue. Some Irish youths, who came to be known as the Stone Throwers, objected to the fact that the “British” red appeared above the “Irish” green on the light and threw stones, which they called „Irish confetti,“ to break the red bulb.
The kids aged 11 to 17, included John „Jacko“ Behan, Richard „Richie“ Britt, James M. „Duke“ Coffey, Kenneth „Kenny“ Davis, George Dorsey, Gerald „Mikis“ Murphy, Francis „Stubbs“ Shortt, and Eugene Thompson.
A former Onondaga County Sheriff, Patrick „Packy“ Corbett, was also named as one of the Stone Throwers, but he would never acknowledge his involvement.
However, New York State stepped in and had this reversed to avoid confusing the color blind. It was reversed and again the red lights were broken, again and again.
Eventually the Tipperary Hill Protective Association addressed the town rulers. On St. Patrick’s Day, March 17, 1928, Commissioner Bradley met with Tipp Hill residents. They told him that the light would continue to be vandalized. The city leaders relented, and green was again above the red light. And so the „Green over Red“ traffic light was born and remains there today.